Sunday 1 May 2011

Grow Your Own Radishes


Four weeks ago I planted some seeds. Today, I ate radishes. My very own radishes grown by me on my teeny little balcony.

We've been wanting to start growing some veg but having never grown anything bar a few herbs and only having a fairly uninspiring balcony at our disposal, we've been keeping our green fingers pretty clean. So after James Martin mentioned on Saturday Kitchen how easy radishes are to grow, I decided it was time to get my fingers dirty. And yes, the man was right, these were so easy, almost as easy as cress. Within a couple of days of sowing the seeds, little green shoots were showing their heads and there was no stopping them. They're ready to eat when they start to show themselves just above the surface of the soil. And there's really nothing better than eating something that you've watched grow from a seed. So much more satisfying than buying them from a shop. And way cheaper too! I really can't stop raving about them.

If you're wanting to have a go at growing some fruit and veg but don't really know where to start, I can definitely recommend radishes as a great starting point. It'll make you feel like you're the best gardener in the world even if all you've got is a little grey window box and a pair of novice hands to work with.

I think one of the best ways to eat radishes is with a thick slice of homemade bread, lashings of butter and a touch of salt and pepper. A bit of sunshine and a cheeky glass of white wouldn't go a miss either.

I'm already thinking about what I can do next. Any suggestions for what other veg can be grown in a window box?


The balcony.


And the result...my very own radishes.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really great idea. I wish I had an outside space to grow some.

    ReplyDelete