Tuesday 26 April 2011

Street Party Custard Creams


So is everyone in the UK enjoying the insane amount of bank holidays that you've got? Unfortunately, over here in tulip land we only get Easter Monday off. No Good Friday. No May Day. And of course they'll be no Royal Wedding bank holiday for us either. Being an expat Brit, I feel I'm losing out so I guess I'll just have to host my own little street party and fly the British flag all by myself. Hopefully some other people will join in and I won't be sat by myself on my street with my tea, cakes and bunting.

Custard Creams have got to be the best biscuit ever conceived haven't they? And yup, unfortunately along with many other things that I love to eat, you can't buy them here. But wait, the story doesn't end there! I found a custard cream recipe which sent me into some kind of delirium. I ran to the kitchen, broke a tea cup whilst scrambling to get my pinny over my head and proceeded to have some baking fun so I could get one of these babies into my mouth as soon as humanly possible.


It's been far too long since I've eaten one and I was impressed at how custard cream-ish they were. What's the key ingredient you ask? Custard powder. Yup. Custard powder mixed with butter and icing sugar for the filling makes your eyes roll back with joy...especially when you haven't eaten your favourite confection since Christmas. 


Recipe
Slightly adapted from BBC Good Food

Makes 15-25 biscuits, depending on whether you make double or triple deckers

I added a little more custard powder in the filling mix which made it extra custardy. I added a third extra but I'd be careful of adding too much more than that or you'll end up with your custard filling having the texture of uncooked cornflour. Just adjust to your own taste.

I only made a half batch which was enough for the two of us to be greedy with...for now anyway.

For the biscuits
175g softened butter
50g golden caster sugar
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting

For the Filling
100g butter, softened
140g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
2tbsp custard powder

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.


In a bowl, mix together the butter, sugars, egg yolks and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon until creamy. Mix in the flour in two batches.

Bring the dough together and on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out thinly. I have a square biscuit cutter which made things easier but if you don't have one, use a ruler as a template to cut the dough into small, even squares. Do this by starting with the ruler flush with one side and cutting along the length of it. Repeat across the entire width of the dough and do the same from the top down.

Transfer to baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. I found that my biscuits needed about 11 minutes but that was probably just my oven. I'd recommend keeping a very close eye on them as there seems to be a fine line between golden and burnt. Cool on a wire rack.

While the biscuits are cooling, make the filling. Mix together the butter, icing sugar and custard powder until well combined. Pipe or spoon a little icing onto a biscuit and sandwich with another one or two biscuits. Dust with a little extra icing sugar.

And finally, whilst you're enjoying your fun time, devouring your cakes and enjoying a glass of rose, think of me working. Or rather, pretending to work but actually day dreaming about custard filled delights.

3 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I had custard creams; I was always eating them as a child. Love this more grown up version and love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Lord... If I wasn't so exhausted I'd be dashing into the kitchen and breaking my own crockery to make these!

    When I make these I'm going to try and put a little jam in-between the biscuits as well and see how it tastes - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting aren't they?! Jam sounds like a good plan to me - hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete